Optimizing Maintenance & Reliability
Challenge: A large North American Chemical Company struggled to deliver consistent and predictable production volumes from one of their largest assets due to unexpected downtime, overruns in planned shutdown times, and operating at reduced rates
OUR ANALYSIS FOUND
Completely analyzed all maintenance and reliability activities at the plant including
• PM effectiveness
• Bad actors and critical equipment
• Maintenance and reliability systems, processes and behaviors
• Cost and production loss drivers
Developed an implementation program to reduce emergency downtime and increase the predictability of the daily production volume
The program focused on:
• Effective planning and scheduling
• The efficiency of work execution
• Revision of PM / PdM program
Integrated operations, maintenance, and reliability to create common goals and expectations.
Coached front line leaders to perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and effectively supervise the technicians and operators.
• Revised and updated over 500 PMs to address the critical equipment reliability and prevent bad actors from failing.
• Installed reliability improvement process and management system to drive continued elimination of bad actors
• Trained planners and schedulers to create accurate plans and schedules, to drive technician efficiency.
• Reviewed shutdowns and planned outages cross-functionally to ensure the right work was scheduled, downtime was minimized, and resources/parts were available.
• Created improved predictive and condition-based monitoring routes for operators and technicians enabling them to identify risks to production.
Trained front line leaders in effective supervision techniques and RCA.
Coached front line workers, in the work environment, to practice the behaviors
Results of our engagement include:
Achieved over 15% in sustainable production volume increase
Decreased emergency maintenance losses by over 55%
Decreased normal scheduled outages from 50+ hours on average to less the 36 hours
“The changes we have made have really created apredictable plant and team that is focused on improving instead of putting out today’s fire.”